La Salle Academy
1434 N. Second Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122
|Position||School Breakfast/Lunch Coordinator|
|Start Date||September 2023|
|Schedule||Monday to Friday: 7:30 am to 2 pm|
September through July (11 months)
About La Salle Academy
Started in 2003, La Salle Academy (LSA) is a small, independent, Catholic grade school, educating children grades 3rd through 8th, that exclusively serves children from low-income families from across Philadelphia. Run in the tradition of the Christian Brothers and the Sisters of St. Joseph, La Salle is a San Miguel model school dedicated to achieving children’s success academically and spiritually in a supportive, faith-based learning environment. La Salle Academy’s unique benefits include:
- Small Classes: 15:1 student/teacher ratio
- Extended School Day/School Year
We are now seeking a part-time School Breakfast/Lunch Coordinator to join our team and support our school’s mission. LSA is an equal opportunity employer.
The School Breakfast/Lunch Coordinator is responsible for operating the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program at La Salle Academy through the Nutritional Development Services (NDS) of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. This includes placing orders, receiving deliveries, conducting meal services and completing required paperwork. The School Breakfast/Lunch Coordinator must prioritize food safety, cleanliness, and sanitization to ensure that all food served is safe for children to consume. This position is part-time (7:30 am to 2 pm) for 11 months from September through July.
- Places food orders by the weekly deadline, manages inventory, conducts a monthly inventory
- Identifies items students prefer and orders appropriately
- Prepares refrigeration for deliveries, properly stores and labels food
- Maintains cleanliness at all times and practices food safety procedures
- Works with school team to determine the number of meals to prepare each day
- Prepares food and sets up serving line: heats items that need to be heated, washes fresh fruits, keeps cold items cold for as long possible before serving
- Pleasantly interacts with students
- Records a child-specific meal count on an NDS- issued touchscreen laptop
- Cleans and sanitizes the serving line, trays, counters, and equipment following FDA procedures
- Prepares for the next day’s meal service by placing any thaw-and-serve frozen items in refrigerator, prepares for breakfast service, etc.
- Daily: Document food served. Record temperatures on logs each day
- Daily: Enters the Daily Enrollment & Absentee and Meals Prepped and Served to a web based Online Reporting system
- Monthly: Completes the monthly HACCP checklist. Reports physical inventory
- Is aware of children with allergies and shares information with school nurse
- Checks email regularly for updates and important information
- Minimizes food waste by ordering and cooking the correct number of meals, using first in first out (FIFO), and communicating changes to deliveries in a timely fashion
- Attends required NDS trainings and follows verbal and written training provided by NDS.
- Qualifications and Skills:
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Excellent cleaning and sanitation standards
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good computer skills: email, internet, laptop
- Good communication skills and basic math skills
- Ability to fill out forms, read reports and work independently
- Ability to maintain confidential information and work well under deadlines
- Flexible and open to changes in regulations, duties, policies, procedures, etc.
- All required criminal background checks, including but not limited to Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Clearance
Please email resume and letter of interest to Maria Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-739-5804.